March 19, 2008

Gluten-Free Nazi's

I forgot to mention that I had a conversation with my Gastroenterologist yesterday. I asked him how far I needed to go with this gluten-free diet. He stated that it would be best if I didnt ingest, swallow (sorry hun j/k), intake, or eat anything with gluten. I asked about makeup, sex, lotions, and soap. He stated that there are people who go over the top. The people that need to go over the top are those people are who allergic to wheat the way some people are allergic to peanuts (rash, breathing problems). He siad that Celiac Disease affects the small intestine and it is impossible for your small intestine to absorb something you put on your leg's or arms unless you actually eat the makeup, lotion or soap. So warning people... stop eating your lotion or soap there are bad effects it can have on your body =o) Oh ya... Kissing, Making Love, Having Sex... He stated that if there is gluten transfer it is so minute (unless he has a mouth full of bread) that I shouldnt be effected. I am now learning and understanding what this is all about and feeling alot more confident.

So, this leads me to my new term... "Gluten-Free Nazi" that is what I am deeming the people who go over the edge with anything gluten-free who dont have an allergy like the peanut allergy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great phrase You mind if I use it?

Lindsy Riches (Anti-Glutite) said...

No go right ahead!

Post a Comment

What is Celiac Disease?

Celiac disease is a disease of the small intestine. The small intestine is a 22 foot long tube that begins at the stomach and ends at the large intestine (colon). The first 1-1/2 feet of the small intestine (the part that is attached to the stomach) is called the duodenum, the middle part is called the jejunum, and the last part (the part that is attached to the colon) is called the ileum. Food empties from the stomach into the small intestine where it is digested and absorbed into the body. While food is being digested and absorbed, it is transported by the small intestine to the colon. What enters the colon is primarily undigested food. In celiac disease, there is an immunological (allergic) reaction within the inner lining of the small intestine to (gluten) that are present in wheat, rye, barley and, to a lesser extent, in oats. The immunological reaction causes inflammation that destroys the lining of the small intestine. This reduces the absorption of dietary nutrients and can lead to symptoms and signs of nutritional, vitamin, and mineral deficiencies.

I found this information at the link below.
http://www.medicinenet.com/celiac_disease/article.htm

BTW I dont claim to be an expert or doctor. This is information I have found or what has worked for me.