March 23, 2008

Easter Time!

As you can probably tell from a previous post I had no desire to do anything for Easter. I have to thank my mom for coming to the rescue. She made the girls cute dresses last night (I'll have to post a picture later) and brought them over this morning. Last night she went and bought stuff for Easter baskets, eggs and egg dye and the plastic eggs with candy for the Easter Bunny to hide for the girls.

 

BTW, My yellow cake worked very well for Strawberry Shortcake.

 

I also tried to make a pineapple upside down cake this morning. I flubbed the first one (I guess my eggs weren't stiff enough and when I baked it the egg yolks and egg whites separated) and the second one turned out ok. I used the recipe from this link http://www.csaceliacs.org/recipes3.php?id=27. Its NOT that great of a recipe... ok maybe if it were easy to follow it would be better. Here's part of the recipe...

 

Ingredients

1 T margarine

1/2 c GF brown sugar

4 pineapple slices

4 egg yolks

3/4 c sugar

juice and grated zest from 1/2 lemon (how big of a lemon? I had some big lemons in my fruit bowl)

4 egg whites

3/4 c potato starch

1 t GF baking powder

 

Directions

Melt the margarine and sugar (this took me a while... I then assumed since Brown Sugar was the first sugar listed that's the one to use) in a 9-inch square-baking pan. Arrange the pineapple slices over the melted sugar. Set aside.In a large mixing bowl, beat the egg yolks until light. Gradually add the sugar, (didn't I already add the sugar?) lemon juice and grated rind; continue beating until creamy.

 

PEOPLE YOU HAVE TO MAKE THESE RECIPES FOR DUMMIES!

 

Anyways, Lunch was great. My family (the ones still left in San Diego) came over for lunch so that Michael could have Easter with his girls and I because he had to leave for work at 3:00. We had Ham, Asparagus, Funeral Potato's (my mom modified the recipe so that I could eat it and they were good), fresh fruit, and deviled eggs. I had a gluten-free feast! Today was a happy day so far!

 

For Dinner the girls and I went to Michael's parents house (kinda backwards I know... Michael's parents went to go listen to Kamron and Shanna's talk at church that morning and then they went to their ward at 1:00). We had a wonderful Turkey, Potato's (Krista, Michael's sister made which were delicious), Yam's that I made, fruit jello and Stuffing (I didn't eat but everyone else did).

 

Two great meals in one day. I was so stuffed, happy and tired!

 

I would like to thank both of my families for great food and a great time!

 

LOVE YOU!

3 comments:

Liz said...

Wow! I'm impressed. It's only been since the 13th and you've already put all this together?! Again, wow. Well, now I know where to come if I find out I have Celiac's Disease. Thanks for chatting tonight. It was fun. I hope I'll get to see you and Allyson tomorrow, but if not, we should plan to get together some other time. I really enjoy talking with you. Good luck getting Malia to bed if you haven't already. :)

Liz said...

Oh, and here's our family blog link.
http://thebagelfactory.blogspot.com

Liz said...

Yeah, it's me again. :) So, I was looking over your older posts and came across something about how you bought gluten-free pasta and it was mushy and tasted like rice. I don't know what kind you got, but if you haven't tried it, look up Tinkyada (they have it at Trader Joe's or Henry's, I can't remember which). Anyway, it's the best rice pasta ever. You can't make it mushy even if you try and it tastes just like regular pasta. I even fooled my sensitive-taste-buds, very-particular-about-food husband.

Post a Comment

What is Celiac Disease?

Celiac disease is a disease of the small intestine. The small intestine is a 22 foot long tube that begins at the stomach and ends at the large intestine (colon). The first 1-1/2 feet of the small intestine (the part that is attached to the stomach) is called the duodenum, the middle part is called the jejunum, and the last part (the part that is attached to the colon) is called the ileum. Food empties from the stomach into the small intestine where it is digested and absorbed into the body. While food is being digested and absorbed, it is transported by the small intestine to the colon. What enters the colon is primarily undigested food. In celiac disease, there is an immunological (allergic) reaction within the inner lining of the small intestine to (gluten) that are present in wheat, rye, barley and, to a lesser extent, in oats. The immunological reaction causes inflammation that destroys the lining of the small intestine. This reduces the absorption of dietary nutrients and can lead to symptoms and signs of nutritional, vitamin, and mineral deficiencies.

I found this information at the link below.
http://www.medicinenet.com/celiac_disease/article.htm

BTW I dont claim to be an expert or doctor. This is information I have found or what has worked for me.