March 13, 2008

The Gluten-Free Diet Begins...

After talking to a newly found co-worker, on my mobile, after work, I went and bought some gluten-free pasta and pasta sauce at Trader Joes. I really didn't know what to get I was so lost, sad, angry, freaked, and stressed out at the same time, but trying to play it cool. Anyways, I was planning Italian Sausage, pasta and salad tonight for dinner. Italian food is one of my favorites, if I had to give that up I don't know what I would do. So, I get home and cook dinner and begin my research in Celiac Disease. I notice I have to stay away from wheat, barley, gluten (ha ha just seeing if your paying attention), rye, oats and malts.

 

My cooking experience tonight wasn't a great one. Of course I flubbed the pasta and it was mushy (I didn't read the directions) but we ate it anyways. I have to say it wasn't that tasty. It tasted like rice with pasta sauce, Yuck! I always eat rice with soy sauce not tomato sauce. If this is what this gluten-free thing is all about, nasty tasting food, I guess I will have to eat "GLUTEN"! Hell I have been living with bloating and stomach cramping all my life... its not that difficult. I'm just not so sure about the stabbing pain on my right side.

 

After dinner I began on more research. I looked up celiac and gluten-free to find out what its all about. Interesting my doctors nurse didn't care to explain. Everyone in my meeting who heard my conversation gave information on what they knew. Well, where does my life go from here? If this is hereditary (found that on the web DQ2 and DQ8 gene are now active) who did I get it from and do my kids have it? I NEED ANSWERS! I AM NOT GOING TO STOP UNTIL I AM THE ALL KNOWING! (evil laugh) HA HA HA HA HA HA!

 

This is going to be hard... going from real food to real different food.

 

Note to a new Celiac person... READ THE DIRECTIONS OF THE PASTA BEFORE YOU COOK IT FOR THE FIRST TIME!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

What is Celiac Disease?

Celiac disease is a disease of the small intestine. The small intestine is a 22 foot long tube that begins at the stomach and ends at the large intestine (colon). The first 1-1/2 feet of the small intestine (the part that is attached to the stomach) is called the duodenum, the middle part is called the jejunum, and the last part (the part that is attached to the colon) is called the ileum. Food empties from the stomach into the small intestine where it is digested and absorbed into the body. While food is being digested and absorbed, it is transported by the small intestine to the colon. What enters the colon is primarily undigested food. In celiac disease, there is an immunological (allergic) reaction within the inner lining of the small intestine to (gluten) that are present in wheat, rye, barley and, to a lesser extent, in oats. The immunological reaction causes inflammation that destroys the lining of the small intestine. This reduces the absorption of dietary nutrients and can lead to symptoms and signs of nutritional, vitamin, and mineral deficiencies.

I found this information at the link below.
http://www.medicinenet.com/celiac_disease/article.htm

BTW I dont claim to be an expert or doctor. This is information I have found or what has worked for me.