April 24, 2009

Items for a Sick Day

When you're sick with the flu or a cold don't you want something bland and comforting? I usually eat crackers, pretzels, bread or chicken noodle soup. I always feel better with those in my tummy.
  
Well, being sick for the first time once you found out you're Gluten Free is tough. I had an emotional breakdown. I didn't have anything on hand, that was Gluten Free, and I wasn't about to go to the store feeling this way. There was nothing I wanted more than chicken noodle soup or soup in general and crackers. All Campbell's soups have gluten in them and unfortunately, that was all I had in the pantry.
  
Here is a list of must have's when your feeling your worst.
Ener-G, Wheat Free Crackers
 
Ener-G Wylde Pretzels
 
 
Imagine Organic Creamy Tomato Soup
 
 
Pacific Natural Foods Organic Free range Chicken Broth
(can be found in bulk at Costco)
 
 
Mountain White
Canyon Bakehouse bread

1 comments:

Mom Cooks Gluten Free said...

What GREAT suggestions for a sick day!!

Post a Comment

What is Celiac Disease?

Celiac disease is a disease of the small intestine. The small intestine is a 22 foot long tube that begins at the stomach and ends at the large intestine (colon). The first 1-1/2 feet of the small intestine (the part that is attached to the stomach) is called the duodenum, the middle part is called the jejunum, and the last part (the part that is attached to the colon) is called the ileum. Food empties from the stomach into the small intestine where it is digested and absorbed into the body. While food is being digested and absorbed, it is transported by the small intestine to the colon. What enters the colon is primarily undigested food. In celiac disease, there is an immunological (allergic) reaction within the inner lining of the small intestine to (gluten) that are present in wheat, rye, barley and, to a lesser extent, in oats. The immunological reaction causes inflammation that destroys the lining of the small intestine. This reduces the absorption of dietary nutrients and can lead to symptoms and signs of nutritional, vitamin, and mineral deficiencies.

I found this information at the link below.
http://www.medicinenet.com/celiac_disease/article.htm

BTW I dont claim to be an expert or doctor. This is information I have found or what has worked for me.