September 18, 2013

Gluten Free Bread

Its been a while since I last posted. I'm always on the lookout for new and exciting products, but I don't like to post unless they have my attention. Udi's year after year gets props for their gluten free bread but I think its the nastiest gluten free bread available. Its only okay if you like to eat cardboard both in texture and taste. I'm talking about bread folks, not toast. Even if we were talking toast, Udi's is still really NASTY!

My attention over the last year has been on Canyon Bakehouse. My awesome mom was at Sprouts and brought 2 loafs (is that how you spell it?) for me to try, the Cinnamon Raisin and the Mountain White (of course I like to eat the Mountain White it was named after my husband... tee hee). At first I thought it was going to be like every other nasty bread that needed to be toasted, buttered and jammed before it was edible. I held my breath, but had to give it "the first bite without toasting" test. To my surprise my mouth was met with happiness! The Mountain White was fresh, moist, and had flavor. FLAVOR people, not the flavor of cardboard but a REAL bread flavor! A flavor I thought I would never taste again, daily, unless I went to La Farfalla Cafe (in Escondido, CA) daily to have Terri's delicious gluten free fantastic, wonderful, flavorful, moist, happy bread. My mouth had the same reaction with the cinnamon raisin too! Remember folks, I didn't toast these breads, there was no need they were that good.

Just for the record, I don't like slamming other companies and their products, but I have over the past several years tried other manufacturers. I just try not to post about them if I am SUPER dissatisfied.

I have tried the following...

  • Kinikkinik
  • Rudi's
  • Dr. Schar
  • GNI
  • Udi's
  • Food for Life
  • EnerG
  • Glutino

Okay back to Canyon Bakehouse! Shelf life... NO NEED to keep in the fridge or freezer. I go through a loaf a week and don't freeze or refrigerate. The moisture and fabulousness is nicely kept in that week. After a week you will need to refrigerate so it doesn't get moldy.

Last, I want to comment on breakage. You notice when you use a gluten free bread for a sandwich it breaks into small pieces. You put mayonnaise on it or mustard it crumbles? Use Canyon Bakehouse within the first week and you wont get breakage. I cant say enough good things! Go out and try it PLEASE! I live in San Diego and find it at Sprouts.

Ok one last thing... why the hell do all these celebrities support crap like Udi's? Oh... they get paid! Screw what celebrities say and listen to us small folks who blog about being gluten free. You can trust a celebrity as much as I trust my dog not to touch my egg sandwich if I put it in his bowl :)

Happy eating, learning and living! Gluten Free...

0 comments:

Post a Comment

What is Celiac Disease?

Celiac disease is a disease of the small intestine. The small intestine is a 22 foot long tube that begins at the stomach and ends at the large intestine (colon). The first 1-1/2 feet of the small intestine (the part that is attached to the stomach) is called the duodenum, the middle part is called the jejunum, and the last part (the part that is attached to the colon) is called the ileum. Food empties from the stomach into the small intestine where it is digested and absorbed into the body. While food is being digested and absorbed, it is transported by the small intestine to the colon. What enters the colon is primarily undigested food. In celiac disease, there is an immunological (allergic) reaction within the inner lining of the small intestine to (gluten) that are present in wheat, rye, barley and, to a lesser extent, in oats. The immunological reaction causes inflammation that destroys the lining of the small intestine. This reduces the absorption of dietary nutrients and can lead to symptoms and signs of nutritional, vitamin, and mineral deficiencies.

I found this information at the link below.
http://www.medicinenet.com/celiac_disease/article.htm

BTW I dont claim to be an expert or doctor. This is information I have found or what has worked for me.