January 1, 2011

Happy New Year

Well the new year is upon us again. I have to say, I am truly thankful for so many friends, family and blogs out there who have helped me with my journey as an anti-glutite. My goal this year is to decide what type of culinary school would be useful. Baking & Pastry school seems to be the one I feel the strongest about yet I like the idea of cooking with general nutrition to help other anti-glutites.

What is it that you miss the most about being Gluten Free? I miss the yummy breads. Gluten Free bread tastes like cardboard and only when I truly crave bread will I eat it. I have tried bakeries in the area that have Gluten Free bread, frozen bread, making my own bread, and NOTHING is even remotely close to the delectable texture and taste of REAL GLUTENOUS bread. Sourdough, boy do I miss sourdough bread.

I guess I would love to open my own FULLY Gluten-Free Bakery. Think about it... Gluten free cakes, tarts, cupcakes, cheesecakes, brownies, lemon bars, shortbread cookies, eclairs, creme puffs, cookies... my eyes are getting big and my mouth is watering! I would let it be known the bakery is Gluten Free, but I wouldn't produce and sell any baked items unless it was better than the glutenous version so that non anti-glutites would be interested in the product.

Oh, I guess its good to be a dreamer. Maybe I'm just hopeful.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Happy eating, learning and living! Gluten Free...

0 comments:

Post a Comment

What is Celiac Disease?

Celiac disease is a disease of the small intestine. The small intestine is a 22 foot long tube that begins at the stomach and ends at the large intestine (colon). The first 1-1/2 feet of the small intestine (the part that is attached to the stomach) is called the duodenum, the middle part is called the jejunum, and the last part (the part that is attached to the colon) is called the ileum. Food empties from the stomach into the small intestine where it is digested and absorbed into the body. While food is being digested and absorbed, it is transported by the small intestine to the colon. What enters the colon is primarily undigested food. In celiac disease, there is an immunological (allergic) reaction within the inner lining of the small intestine to (gluten) that are present in wheat, rye, barley and, to a lesser extent, in oats. The immunological reaction causes inflammation that destroys the lining of the small intestine. This reduces the absorption of dietary nutrients and can lead to symptoms and signs of nutritional, vitamin, and mineral deficiencies.

I found this information at the link below.
http://www.medicinenet.com/celiac_disease/article.htm

BTW I dont claim to be an expert or doctor. This is information I have found or what has worked for me.