April 30, 2010

The Many Faces of Celiac Disease

The competition for attention to various diseases in May is extraordinary. No wonder so many people still have never heard of celiac disease!

 

In a web search of only 3 sites, I identified no less than 19 diseases who want attention in May. Many of them are better known and better funded for research such as cancer, MS, and arthritis to mention a few. We in the celiac disease community have something these other diseases do not, a VIDEO that is posted on YouTube so that we are ready to raise awareness starting May 1.

The San Diego Celiac Support Group created this video for the purpose of getting the message out. I encourage and support the use and distribution of this video 100%. It makes you realize there isnt just one symptom to this disease.

 

My request is that you pass the link on and have as many people as possible view it. Reaching the 3 million people who have celiac disease but do not know it is an awesome task. I am hoping we are going to find some of them through this effort.

 

Please help and know that your help is greatly appreciated!

 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eB2oTwTE67s

 

This is my face for Celiac Awareness (see me throwing a "CA"). If you see me around San Diego throwing my sign and youre an Anti-Glutite too... throw it back!

 

CELIAC AWARENESS BABY!

 

Happy eating, learning and living! Gluten Free...

3 comments:

germaine schwider said...

Thanks for posting this important message, Lindsey. I hope everyone that reads your blog tells ten other people about celiac disease to raise awareness. Raising awareness helps us find those who have it and don't know it and helps get health professionals in the know as well. Getting attention gets more research, too.May is Celiac Awareness Month. Get the word out!

steven wells said...

I am the video editor for The Faces of Celiac Disease. When Germaine approached me about this video, I knew very little about the disease. I was quite amazed about how much I learned in the short amount of time I had to put the video together. What was quite astounding to me was how long people have gone having the disease without being diagnosed. It is very worthwhile to try and bring awareness to this disease. It seems people's lives take a dramatic turn for the better once they find out they have the disease and learn what they can do about it.

Lindsy Riches (Anti-Glutite) said...

Thank you Steven for that wonderful video. Next time... I insist you add me with my Celiac Awareness sign I've been throwing at people. j/k

No, really I'm not =o)

Post a Comment

What is Celiac Disease?

Celiac disease is a disease of the small intestine. The small intestine is a 22 foot long tube that begins at the stomach and ends at the large intestine (colon). The first 1-1/2 feet of the small intestine (the part that is attached to the stomach) is called the duodenum, the middle part is called the jejunum, and the last part (the part that is attached to the colon) is called the ileum. Food empties from the stomach into the small intestine where it is digested and absorbed into the body. While food is being digested and absorbed, it is transported by the small intestine to the colon. What enters the colon is primarily undigested food. In celiac disease, there is an immunological (allergic) reaction within the inner lining of the small intestine to (gluten) that are present in wheat, rye, barley and, to a lesser extent, in oats. The immunological reaction causes inflammation that destroys the lining of the small intestine. This reduces the absorption of dietary nutrients and can lead to symptoms and signs of nutritional, vitamin, and mineral deficiencies.

I found this information at the link below.
http://www.medicinenet.com/celiac_disease/article.htm

BTW I dont claim to be an expert or doctor. This is information I have found or what has worked for me.