September 7, 2008

Opinion: Gluten-Free Pancakes

I am going to start blogging my opinions about different foods that I try. Today I will start with pancakes, since that's what I wanted for breakfast. My opinion today is based on my likes and what I have seen my children eat as well. I don't force my girls to eat gluten-free, they just want what I eat so I cook (today and any day I make pancakes). Over the past few months we have tried the following pancake mixes...
  • Bob's Red Mill
  • Pamela's
  • Trader Joe's

Okay, I know, not very many! Having eaten these several times with my girls (hubby sleeps during the day) I realized they like the same mix I do. My girls can eat regular pancakes and still do sometimes.

Bob's Red Mill mix I find is a little thick (per the instructions). Even if you don't add as much of the mix it doesn't make a difference they still don't taste that wonderful. They are edible with a ton of syrup and butter, but a little on the gritty side. I also notice than when I make these pancakes my girls don't tend to eat them all and ask for more, even with the extra syrup.

Trader Joe's Mix... can I just say that I haven't, yet, found anything that Trader Joe's produces delicious or worth purchasing again. All I have to say is STAY AWAY! My girls after several attempts ate maybe 2 bites of their pancakes and then asked for cereal.

Pamela's, OH PAMELA'S (in a singing voice)! These pancakes are, so far and by far, the most delectable and fluffiest! My girls come asking for more and so do I! I think it has to be that they use Almond Flour and none of these other mixes do. The consistency is perfect, the taste is perfect and the way the cook is perfect (not too thick just nice and fluffy). YUM!!!!

If you have any other suggestions for me please respond. I would love to try your recipe or mix!

1 comments:

Michelle (GFF ;) said...

OK... somewhat late on this, but I'm going through your old posts. I'm a big fan of Trader Joe's, and I've found a few items there that I like:

Trader Joe's makes ginger snap cookies that I love... nice and crispy and good dunked in milk.

Rice and Bean Chips with Adzuki Beans: These chips are new (I think I first saw them a month or two ago) and they are *amazing* -- light, and crisp and tastey.

Now if only someone would come up with crackers that taste as good.

Frozen Pancakes and Waffles: I like both of these from Trader Joe's. They probably don't have as much flavor as non-gf varieties, but with butter and maple syrup, I don't notice. Plus, since these are frozen, they're fast.

Post a Comment

What is Celiac Disease?

Celiac disease is a disease of the small intestine. The small intestine is a 22 foot long tube that begins at the stomach and ends at the large intestine (colon). The first 1-1/2 feet of the small intestine (the part that is attached to the stomach) is called the duodenum, the middle part is called the jejunum, and the last part (the part that is attached to the colon) is called the ileum. Food empties from the stomach into the small intestine where it is digested and absorbed into the body. While food is being digested and absorbed, it is transported by the small intestine to the colon. What enters the colon is primarily undigested food. In celiac disease, there is an immunological (allergic) reaction within the inner lining of the small intestine to (gluten) that are present in wheat, rye, barley and, to a lesser extent, in oats. The immunological reaction causes inflammation that destroys the lining of the small intestine. This reduces the absorption of dietary nutrients and can lead to symptoms and signs of nutritional, vitamin, and mineral deficiencies.

I found this information at the link below.
http://www.medicinenet.com/celiac_disease/article.htm

BTW I dont claim to be an expert or doctor. This is information I have found or what has worked for me.